Sunday, January 23, 2011

Moody Blues

Chemotherapy side-effects are never the same. The unpredictability makes me a little crazy. But so far, Round 3 hasn’t been too bad.

Let’s start with the good news. The good news is the physical side effects are no worse – in fact are some ways things are better because I am learning the best way to cope with them. I know to take Tylenol and Benadryl before my bones start to ache from the Neulesta. I know to stay hydrated and to eat regularly to avoid that general feeling of “unwell”.

I have been getting pretty good sleep, and have finally succumbed to the concept of napping when I’m tired. I’m amazed at how much better I can feel after a nap. I am concerned though. In previous cycles, the steroids seemed to give me extra energy. If I’m already feeling a lack of energy then the fatigue may be worse this cycle.

Now the bad news. The steroids are making me a lunatic. I feel like I have no coping skills. I bounce between weepy and a raging lunatic. I know it’s the steroids, and the knowing that it is chemically induced is about the only thing that keeps me under control. I take a lot of deep breathes to avoid saying anything. I am a bit of a monster right now. It doesn’t help that we are right in the middle of all the details involved with buying the house. Once we get through this next three weeks our stress level will drop a bit, but right now walking into this house is akin to approaching a ticking time bomb.

Lastly, a shout out to Lorena for sending such a lovely hat! I have never been so happy that I know so many crafty people. It’s beautifully made and fits wonderfully. I have a lot of heavy hats great for outdoors, but this one is particularly nice for wearing indoors. I love the pattern and the colors. Thank you for taking the time to make it. I appreciate it so very much.

I’m off to weep or yell now. Or maybe I’ll torture the dogs. That’s always fun.

1 comment: