Friday, February 4, 2011

It's a Little Bit Funny, This Feeling Inside

Yesterday afternoon I looked at the weather forecast for today. We had a freezing rain advisory for this morning. This concerned me because I was afraid they would close the office where I was scheduled to have my PET Scan. So I called their office yesterday to find out if they typically have delays or close due to weather advisories. I may seem a little paranoid about this, but my oncology center closes at the drop of a hat. Fortunately, because the scan center is affiliated with a hospital they said they generally don’t close.

My appointment was the first appointment of the day. When I got up this morning rain mixed with some small ice pellets was falling, but the road surface wasn’t freezing so I had no problems getting to their office. Coincidentally, it was cold and rainy the first time I went for a PET scan.

One of the great things about living in a smaller town is that the medical facilities are a little more personal. The same technicians that performed my PET Scan in November also did it today. It was comforting in a way. They were so nice during my first visit. I had just been diagnosed and they were so positive about my prognosis. I remember during that first visit the technician told me not to worry if the results weren’t good. He had said that he’d seen people come in and their scans were lit up like a Christmas Tree, and that in subsequent scans they were fine. Let’s hope he’s right!

They injected me with a radioactive form of glucose, and left me for my requisite hour of resting under warm blankets. The actually scan was a little easier this time. The last time, I remember feeling like I had to cough and clear my throat excessively which is difficult when you need to hold still. That was when the tumor was pushing on my windpipe. That was not an issue at all during today’s scan.

They have a radio in the scan room, and today as the scan was starting the radio began to play Elton John. “It’s a little bit funny, this feeling inside…” I found the lyrics funny considering I was being inserted into a tube, while full of radioactive glucose. Indeed, it is a little bit funny. I had a hard time holding back the laughter. I’ll get the results Tuesday afternoon at my appointment with the oncologist.

On a side note, when I returned home from the scan I came home to beagle chaos. I walked into the kitchen to find the water bowl empty, a pool of dog pee, and a shredded treat bag (which was luckily almost empty prior to shredding). I cleaned up this mess, and continued into the living room to find that the dogs had eaten a good-sized bag of cashews. No wonder the water bowl was empty – the cashews were salted!

So far, they seem no worse for wear. That portion of cashews would have been a large portion for a human. For a 50 pound dog it was a HUGE portion. And though I have two dogs, I am pretty sure Meadow ate the bulk of them. She is like a canine vacuum cleaner. They were belly up napping most of the afternoon.

Hope you have a great weekend. I hear there is some big football game on Sunday…

1 comment:

  1. You might want to check under the couch...there could be a chewed up DVD under there :)