Thursday, September 29, 2011

Walk This Way

This week when I started exercising on the treadmill, Robbie asked me if I had initially been reluctant to start exercising because I was afraid I wouldn’t be able to breath.  I hadn’t said anything to him about it, but he hit the nail on the head.

The first day I got on the treadmill, I started at a snail’s pace.  I was absolutely sure that once I got up to a decent pace that my heart race would sky-rocket and that I’d be gasping for air.  Last year, the main symptom that signaled that I had cancer last year was an inability to breathe when doing any kind of exertion.  Even though I was given an all-clear in August, I still worry a lot.  But all was well!  My heart rate certainly increased, but only in the way it should.  And I could breath.  My breathing was heavy, but I was breathing.  And I can’t tell you how wonderful it felt. 

The exercise is going great, and I’m feeling great as a result.  The first day was rough with regards to shaky muscles, but it has gotten better each day even with an increase in time and distance.  I set a small goal this week – to do a mile in a single session.  And I accomplished that yesterday.  I want to increase by a mile a week until I’ve reached three miles in a session, and then work on increasing the speed/incline to get more benefit.

I’m hoping by next month’s check-in with my primary care that I’ll be doing my three miles a day and that I’ll be a few pounds down as well.  And hopefully she and I can work on a plan for long-term health and cancer fighting strategies.    

One step at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment