Thursday, January 22, 2015

28 Days Later

It is apropos that the title of this post corresponds with a zombie movie.  Because a zombie is just what I feel like after 28 days of radiation.  But it is over and I can finally start to recover from this whole affair.   

This morning I took pastries to the radiation team that worked with me each day.  They are an amazing bunch of women that made me laugh and feel comfortable in a situation that is really one of those life events you hope to never experience.  We would laugh and talk each morning as I undressed halfway and positioned on a steel table while they adjusted my body to ensure that I was in alignment.  They were kind and caring and made a bad situation as good as it could be.   They hugged me and celebrated with me this morning.  We ceremoniously removed the stickers from my body this morning that cover and protect the marks that were drawn on in order to line up the radiation machine.    

I sit here sipping cranberry juice as a type this, because it takes a lot of cranberry juice and water to keep my very cranky radiated bladder working properly.  And my coffee cup is mostly full, because I can’t really drink the caffeine right now.   I get a cup and enjoy the smell, warmth, and taste – careful not to drink too much of it though or my bladder and digestive system will both be unhappy.

And oh the joy of trying to eat food that doesn’t make my stomach angry.  There really isn’t anything at this point that doesn’t cause a problem.  The list of foods to avoid during pelvic/adominal radiation include raw fruits and vegetables, high fiber foods including whole grains, anything greasy, acidic foods, dairy including cheese, rich pastries/ desserts, meats with high fat content, caffeine, alcohol… So basically I’m left with bananas, white pasta, potatoes that aren’t fried, lean proteins, mushy vegetables, and processed cheese.  And now, after 28 days, even those foods are questionable.  But at least I can eat.  I just need to medicate and only eat when I know I can be near a bathroom.  I was chatting with a few radiation comrades this morning that are limited to only Boost and Ensure due to their radiation treatments so I am reminded to be grateful that I can eat at all.

I had been missing Gary, my 8 AM radiation partner.  He had not around all week and I was worried that I wouldn’t get to say goodbye, but he was in the waiting room this morning.   Apparently Gary had been in the hospital for the last five days with double pneumonia and some other issues.  My heart goes out to Gary who still has quite a ways to go before he is done with his treatment.

Today I am elated to close this chapter.  I hope that there was nothing for the radiation to kill except healthy cells and it was all a waste.  I’ll never know if that is the case.   But if there were a few cancer cells floating around, I hope the radiation did its job.  Or all the processed macaroni and cheese I’ve eaten over the last few weeks will be for nothing.

The Oncologist said I should be right-as-rain within two weeks.  Can’t wait to enjoy a salad, some spicy Mexican food, and a cocktail!      

No comments:

Post a Comment